Changing Your Name Can Be A Complex Process

Many people think that it will be easy to change their name, especially after a divorce. Unfortunately, it is not. A lawyer’s assistance can help the process go more smoothly.

At The Siemon Law Firm, our lawyers are here to guide you through the legal steps of changing your name in Georgia. With four office locations, we represent clients throughout Atlanta and Northern Georgia.

How Do I Change My Name in Georgia?

To change your name in Georgia, you must:

  • Pay a filing fee with the clerk of court.
  • Publish an ad in a local newspaper stating your old name and the name you are changing to. The ad has to run for two weeks.
  • The newspaper will give you a certificate of publication. You will file this certificate with the clerk of court, who will give you a court hearing date.
  • You (and your lawyer, if you have one) will go to the court hearing and explain to the judge your reasons for changing your name. The court will want to ensure that you are not changing your name to defraud anyone or make it harder for your creditors to find you. Any time you have to appear before a judge, it is good to be represented by an attorney.

After the judge grants the legal name change, the name change order must be filed with the clerk’s office. You will also need to visit your local Social Security office, the Department of Motor Vehicles, your bank, your employer and other institutions.

In a divorce, you can only change your name back to the name you had before the marriage or your maiden name. Our lawyers can ensure that your divorce order is properly drafted to include the name change.

Contact Our Attorneys Today

If you would like to change your name in Georgia, our lawyers are here to help you. Please contact us today and arrange a personal, discreet consultation.