Last updated on April 16, 2021

A Modification Can Keep Child Support Fair

The child support orders that worked at the time of your divorce may not work today. Changes in your employment, your income and your ex’s income can result in the need to recalculate the amount of child support you are paying or receiving.

At The Siemon Law Firm, our attorneys can guide you through the process of modifying your child support payments. Call 770-888-5120 today and schedule a consultation with one of our experienced and compassionate family law attorneys. We’re conveniently located and represent clients across Atlanta and Northern Georgia.

When Can Child Support Be Modified?

Child support in Georgia is based on your child custody arrangement, your income and the income of your spouse. If any of those factors change significantly, your child support payments can be recalculated.

Here are some examples of times when child support can be changed:

  • If you lose your job, your child support payments can be reduced
  • If you are forced to take a lower paying job, your payments can be reduced
  • If you receive a higher paying job, your spouse can request that your child support be recalculated to reflect the higher income
  • If you change to a 50-50 joint child custody plan, your child support payments can be reduced to reflect the greater number of overnight visits

Either the payer or the receiver of child support payments can request that payments be recalculated.

Can My Spouse And I Agree To Reduce Child Support Without Going To Court?

Any out-of-court agreement would not be binding. If your spouse changes his or her mind about an out-of-court agreement, you could be held responsible for paying the full amount of child support in your last court order, including back payments.

Call Or Email Our Child Support Attorneys Now To Protect Your Interests

Our attorneys represent clients throughout the Atlanta metropolitan area. For more information about child support modifications, please contact us today at 770-888-5120 and arrange a personal, discreet consultation. We have offices in Alpharetta, Atlanta, Cumming and Marietta.

Reach Out To Our Experienced Team For Help With Your Legal Issues

How The Siemon Law Firm Can Help

Contact our Georgia Family Law Firm by calling 770-888-5120 or by completing this contact form.

An attorney will respond within 24 business hours.

    Fields marked with an * are required

    I Have Read The Disclaimer *

    Our Office Locations

    Cumming, Georgia

    347 Dahlonega St #100,
    Cumming, GA 30040 770-888-5120 Cumming Law Office Map

    Marietta, Georgia

    1850 Parkway Pl Suite 715,
    Marietta, GA 30067 770-888-5312 Marietta Law Office Map

    Alpharetta, Georgia

    4555 Mansell Rd,
    Alpharetta, GA 30022
    770-888-5093 Alpharetta Law Office Map

    Atlanta, Georgia

    3400 Peachtree Rd NE Suite 555,
    Atlanta, GA 30326 770-888-5078 Atlanta Law Office Map