How Your Child Support Payments Are Calculated

The Georgia child support guidelines are challenging even to professionals. When determining how much you will receive or are obligated to pay, it is still important to carefully consider your individual situation. Without the help of an experienced child support attorney, your payments may not be calculated fairly or accurately.

Child support can be a major part of your budget after a divorce. To protect your financial interests, call 770-888-5120 to schedule a consultation with one of our family lawyers. We offer convenient office locations in Alpharetta, Atlanta and Cumming.

Family Law Lawyers Versed In Georgia Child Support Laws

A “worksheet” must be filed in the appropriate court — whether in Fulton, Forsyth, Gwinnett, Hall, Dawson, DeKalb, Cherokee, Forsyth or Cobb County. In theory, this means that your obligation to pay child support — or the amount you can reasonably expect to receive — is objectively determined. In reality, many factors can drastically change the bottom line of the child support calculation. To protect your financial interests, it is important that you enlist experienced representation on this critical issue.

Attorneys Determined To Help You Plan Accurately For The Future

Divorce almost always leads to major financial adjustments for all parties involved. We are practical lawyers who want the best for you and your children, and we are dedicated to making certain that you are treated fairly in any settlement agreement or by the courts if your case goes to litigation.

Child support calculations can become especially complex if:

  • You have a child with special needs
  • You have a unique or custom-designed arrangement for child custody and visitation
  • You are attempting to negotiate a settlement in a high-asset divorce
  • Your own or your spouse’s income is difficult to determine, possibly involving “non-W-2” income or any source of support that either spouse attempts not to reveal

What Is Contempt?

If your former spouse has been ordered to do something by the court — whether it be a child custody or visitation order, or an order to pay child support, alimony or property settlement — and he or she has failed to come through — this is considered contempt of court, and there are legal ramifications. To get your ex-spouse to comply with the order, a court will have to engage in enforcement tactics. In this case, this takes the form of an order of contempt.

What If They Still Don’t Comply?

If your ex-spouse is found to be in contempt of court and still does not live up to his or her obligations, he or she can be subject to penalties that may include:

  • Jail
  • Court-ordered payment plan
  • Monetary judgment

If your spouse is unable to pay or meet his or her court-ordered obligations, a court may allow a compromise instead of the above penalties. If, however, your ex has the ability to pay alimony or child support, or to honor a child custody or visitation agreement, and he or she has knowingly declined to do so, you need a lawyer to help you get the enforcement you deserve.

Enforcing Child Custody And Visitation Orders

The courts are particularly vigilant in matters involving child custody and visitation. If you are being denied visitation time or primary custody of your child, we can petition the court to issue a contempt order against your ex-spouse. This empowers law enforcement personnel to find your ex-spouse and enforce the order.

For More Information About Child Support

For more information about child support in Georgia, please click on the following links:

  • Child support enforcement: If your ex is not paying court-ordered child support in Georgia, there are legal steps you can take to obtain the payments you need and deserve.
  • Modification of child support: The amount of child support you pay or receive can be changed after your divorce if the financial circumstance of you or your spouse changes.

Schedule A Consultation About Child Support

Call 770-888-5120 to discuss your case with a lawyer. We have welcoming offices in Atlanta, Cumming and Alpharetta.