Honest Answers. Call Today

Unable to come in person because of the Coronavirus?
We offer full consultations by phone.

Despite what you may have been told, the court system has not shut down. They are modifying their procedures but we can still file new cases and move those cases through to a resolution. If you need help with a divorce or other family law matter we are still up and running and here to help you. TSLF was already a paperless law firm before Covid19 and we are completely prepared to handle your case by e-mail and telephone if you are unable to come into one of our offices. Have questions, call us right now and we can get you on the phone with an attorney to help. Visit our Covid-19 page for additional information.

Changing Child Custody After Divorce In Atlanta

The child custody and visitation plan that worked for you at the time of your divorce may not be workable today. Things change, and when your child’s best interests are at stake, you can seek a modification of your child custody and visitation order.

It’s important to obtain a court-ordered modification if you want to change child custody or visitation. If there is a dispute with your spouse, you could be found in contempt of court for not following a court order.

At The Siemon Law Firm, our lawyers are here to advise you and guide you through the legal process of obtaining a change in child custody or visitation. With four convenient office locations, we represent custodial and noncustodial parents throughout Atlanta and Northern Georgia. Call 770-888-5120 now to schedule a consultation.

When Can I Change Make Changes to Custody Agreements in Georgia?

As a rule, the court believes in preserving a stable home environment for your child and will not modify an existing order without a good reason. The parent who wishes to change child custody or visitation must show that there has been a material change of condition that substantially affects the best interests of the child. You must provide evidence that this condition is new and did not exist at the time of the last order.

Examples of material changes that affect the best interests of your child include:

  • A parent’s conduct (such as drug use) endangers the child.
  • The child is having problems at home or at school and these problems did not exist at the time of the last court order.
  • Relocation of one or both parents.
  • A job change results in a need for a different visitation schedule.
  • An older child wishes to live with another parent.

In Georgia, upon reaching age 11, your child can tell the court where he or she wants to live. Every year older your child gets, the more weight the court will give your child’s wishes. In the past, a child could decide upon reaching age 14. However, today the court has to make a finding that it is in the best interests of the child before child custody can be changed.

Contact Our Attorneys Today

If you are seeking to change child custody or visitation in Georgia, our lawyers are here to advise you. Please call 770-888-5120 today and arrange a personal, discreet consultation.