Honest Answers. Call Today

Unable to come in person because of the Coronavirus?
We offer full consultations by phone.

Despite what you may have been told, the court system has not shut down. They are modifying their procedures but we can still file new cases and move those cases through to a resolution. If you need help with a divorce or other family law matter we are still up and running and here to help you. TSLF was already a paperless law firm before Covid19 and we are completely prepared to handle your case by e-mail and telephone if you are unable to come into one of our offices. Have questions, call us right now and we can get you on the phone with an attorney to help. Visit our Covid-19 page for additional information.

New law protects visitation rights of extended family members

| Aug 4, 2016 | Child Custody |

During a Georgia divorce, the changes and adjustments that must be made are often difficult for children to process. Regardless of the age of the child, Psychology Today points out that the parenting plan and visitation rights may facilitate recovery by preserving routine and consistency through the schedule in the child custody order.

The Henry Herold reports that lawmakers have expressed concern over the effects on children when the close bonds with extended family members are overlooked during child custody proceedings. The result has been the introduction of a new law that allows judges in family courts to include visitation rights that would preserve these relationships when it is in the best interests of the child to do so.

The considerations for visitation rights are limited to family members who already have a firmly established relationship with the child. The court may take into account any situation where the child may suffer harm from the loss of contact with the relative. However, there are also specific guidelines to identify situations that may have created the bond, such as living with the child for at least six months, providing regular child care or meeting the child’s basic needs for a year or more.

Although extended family in these cases includes aunts, uncles, grandparents and great-grandparents, original actions for visitation rights may only be filed by grandparents. If a parent or guardian of a child believes the visitation rights should be modified or revoked, he or she may file a petition with the court to that effect. 

Accolades & Achievements