The unfortunate reality for many men when it comes to divorce is that they not only feel devastated by the end of their marriage and the splintering of their familial unit, but also relatively frustrated and even somewhat fearful about the legal proceedings that will soon be commencing.
Here, this frustration and fear often comes from a belief that their gender will somehow put them at a disadvantage at the negotiating table or in the courtroom, or that the state’s divorce laws are interpreted in such a way that they are essentially powerless.
While this is certainly understandable, it’s imperative for all men to understand a few points at the outset of divorce proceedings:
- Their gender does not place them at any legal disadvantage.
- The state’s divorce laws are interpreted fairly.
- They do have viable options for helping ensure that things like support obligations are reasonable.
At The Siemon Law Firm, we understand and appreciate the concerns that many men have regarding the divorce process, and that they often have entirely different goals for a divorce than their soon-to-be former spouses.
As such, we always take the time to do the following with our clients:
- Explain how the law works, as well as the legal protections to which they are entitled.
- Discuss their worries, answer their questions and outline their goals as they relate to such matters as alimony, property division, child support and child custody.
- Pursue the course of action best suited to help them accomplish these goals whether through mediation or litigation.
To learn more about the effective, efficient and unique approach taken by our firm in family law matters, please visit our website.