The Siemon Law Firm
Honest Answers.
View Practice Areas

If I get divorced, can I stay in the house until my child graduates?

People going through a divorce here in Georgia ask us this question frequently. The answer, as usual, is that it depends on the facts and circumstances of the case. As always, the parties can agree to do anything they want to do with the home, well, almost anything, burning it down and splitting the insurance money would be against law. Short of doing something illegal a husband and wife going through a divorce can generally agree to anything regarding the custody of their children and the division of their assets and debts. At that point a settlement agreement can be drafted and submitted to the court with the appropriate paperwork and the agreement will become a binding order of the court.

For discussions sake, let's say the parties cannot agree and we are going to go to court and litigate the issue. As we have discussed on this blog before, the equity in the home, if there is any, will need to be divided between the parties. Another factor in this discussion is the mortgage, as we have also discussed on this site, if the mortgage debt is in both names the party keeping the house is going to be required to refinance the home so as to remove the other person's name from the debt obligation. Given these realities, if the person asking the question has sufficient income to pay the mortgage and refinance the home, then they are very likely to be able to remain in the home. If the family has significant assets that can be used to pay the home off or down to the point that alimony and child support would be sufficient to allow the refinance then remaining in the home is again likely. The age of the children is also obviously going to be a factor, if it is only a year or two until the child graduates then it would be a lot more likely that the spouse receiving primary custody would be allowed to remain in the home until graduation. If however the children are young and the income of the parties cannot logically support the expense of the marital residence, then the court is likely to order that the home be sold sooner rather than later.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Contact our Georgia Family Law Firm by calling 866-497-5134 or by completing this contact form. An attorney will respond within 24 business hours.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

The Siemon Law Firm
347 Dahlonega Street, Building 100
Cumming, GA 30040
Phone: 770-888-5120
Fax: 770-521-4317
Cumming Law Office Map

The Siemon Law Firm
4555 Mansell Road, Suite 300
Alpharetta, GA 30022
Phone: 770-521-4316
Fax: 770-521-4317
Alpharetta Law Office Map

The Siemon Law Firm
3400 Peachtree Rd NE, Suite 555
Atlanta, GA 30326
Phone: 770-888-5078
Fax: 770-521-4317
Atlanta Law Office Map