Responding to Divorce as a Defendant

If your spouse served you with a divorce complaint in Georgia, you should contact a lawyer as soon as possible to file an answer. The reason your spouse claimed for divorce (known as the grounds for divorce) can affect issues such as marital property division, child custody and alimony.

If you need advice on how to respond to a divorce complaint, count on The Siemon Law Firm. Call 770-884-7067 today and schedule a consultation with one of our experienced and compassionate family law lawyers. We're conveniently located, with offices in Alpharetta, Atlanta and Cumming, GA.

Does It Matter Who Files for Divorce in Georgia?

The person who files for divorce in Georgia is the plaintiff and the person who receives the complaint is the defendant. If your spouse claims that your conduct caused the divorce and the judge agrees, it can affect how your divorce is resolved.

For example, if your spouse accuses you of adultery, you may not be entitled to alimony. The judge may also decide that it would be unfair for your spouse to lose the marital residence. If your spouse accuses you of domestic violence, your child custody and visitation rights could be adversely affected.

What Should I Do if I Am Served a Divorce Complaint?

You should consult an attorney as soon as possible to file an answer to your spouse's claims. You only have 30 days from the date you received the complaint to file a response with the court. You need to give your lawyer time to prepare your response.

Even if you are guilty of the conduct claimed in the complaint, there are defenses you could use to keep the issue from affecting the outcome of your divorce. You can also contest your spouse's claims for child custody, child support, marital property division and alimony raised in the complaint.

Contact Our Fulton County Divorce Attorneys Today

If you have been served with a divorce complaint in Georgia, our lawyers are here to advise you. Please contact us today at  770-884-7067 to arrange a personal, discreet consultation.